“Sustainable Food Systems for Food Security and Nutrition” will be the focus of World Food Day in 2013.
The official World Food Day theme – announced at the start of every year by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) – gives focus to World Food Day observances and helps increase understanding of problems and solutions in the drive to end hunger.
About World Food Day
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations marks World Food Day each year on the 16th of October, the day on which the Organization was founded in 1945.
The objectives of World Food Day are to:
- encourage attention to agricultural food production and to stimulate national, bilateral, multilateral and non-governmental efforts to this end;
- encourage economic and technical cooperation among developing countries;
- encourage the participation of rural people, particularly women and the least privileged categories, in decisions and activities influencing their living conditions;
- heighten public awareness of the problem of hunger in the world;
- promote the transfer of technologies to the developing world; and
- strengthen international and national solidarity in the struggle against hunger, malnutrition and poverty and draw attention to achievements in food and agricultural development.
“A Vietnamese Recipe for a Food System that Works.
What is a sustainable food system? One Vietnamese model harnesses tradition and bolsters that with technology and the right policy mix: ‘V-A-C’ farming. It’s a no-waste system integrating fish farming, raising livestock and growing fruit and vegetables, all on the same farm. It has assured sufficient, healthy food to Viet Nam’s rural farmers — about half the population — while generating income and feeding the growing cities. In V-A-C, livestock can even power the lights.”
“Do your part to Engage, Empower and Inspire everyone to make a difference in the world”
For the past while I have been very MIA online…feeling like a little blip just bumping along in admiration of so many others but lost on my purpose and intent that I started writing this blog with.
Before I connected with my purpose and learned to look within, I remember many of my days being punctuated with an intense longing.
A missing sense of magic and unconditional joy in my life.
The feeling was especially strong in moments of unwanted stress…
When I did any kind of soul-sapping task, it left me thinking, “what am I doing with my life?”
The feeling left me drained. Momentarily disillusioned. Unable to function as creatively, intuitively or energetically as I knew I could or should.
I’ll go out on a limb and say you know this feeling I’m talking about.
I took some time and now I am re-energized. TBEX is happening this week and I know I am planning on being such a giant sponge as I prepare this blog to become what it was meant to be.
Over the coming weeks you will see a few changes, contests and definitely more from me and some amazing guest bloggers who will share with you their knowledge, experiences and photography.
I hope that you will join me on this new journey as TravelciousDee v.2.0 takes flight on her new magic carpet ride!
Some great tunes to remind you of the “magic” –
Deborah Peniuk aka TraveliciousDee