Positive Attitude on the Road and At Home – 5 Basics!
Attitude is everything and can make or break your day, week or month without issue! The winter months of January, February and March are always tough months, but here are 5 basic steps to overcome a negative attitude. You will feel better and improve your view and those around you immediately.
Being in a good mood is not really that difficult. It does take a little work and it does take personal responsibility. Because it’s better to be happy than upset, putting yourself in a good mood is definitely worth it and your body and mind will thank you.
Did you know that even the most happiest of people can find themselves in a bad mood now and then? You definitely see this both on the road and off in your travels near and afar. Others unfortunately may find themselves in low spirits more often than not. The following quick tips can help both types of people to create a better mood atmosphere each day they wake up and greet it.
1. TAKE INVENTORY – Realize that you are in a bad mood. If you don’t realize it, it’s going to be pretty hard to change it! This realization might come from several sources. You are usually the best judge of your own mood and you can also venture to get the feedback from others – a stranger or someone you trust.
2. DECIDE TO CHANGE – So now that you know you are in a negative mood, you have to decide that you want to change it. This isn’t always as easy as it sounds! When we are upset, we want to roar and not hear how we should be HAPPY. We usually want to be left alone and that is why these is probably the hardest step – especially if you happen to be travelling in a group or are surrounded by friends/family.
Regardless of this – IT’S WORTH IT! A few days a week in a bad mood can really add up and take its toll. A friend or colleague might comment that you are usually in a negative mood without YOU even realizing it. So ok – it’s hard to make this decision but after you take the time to change your mood, you will be so happy you did – you’ll look at things with a fresh perspective.
3. FIND THE SOURCE – Analysis time – you know you’re not happy and you want to change. So now is the time to look for the source of this bad mood/attitude. A common feeling when things start piling up is to get just a wee bit tense! A great way to tackle when you are feeling like you are getting upset is to make a list of what things you are concerning yourself with. Write them down – you can address so many things when you take the thoughts and feelings swirling around in your head and put them to paper.
Look for the sources of your negativity. Did someone say or do something that upset you? Are you worried about something that you did or something you still have to do?
4. FIX THE SOURCE – When you find the source, it’s definitely time to fix it! If someone upset you, take the time to talk to them. Don’t lose it – keep your calm but state your issue. If you are worried about getting something done, be like Nike – Just Do It! And if you are worried about something that you can’t change, accept that you personally cannot change it and move on.
5. DO SOMETHING THAT JUST MAKES YOU HAPPY-There are times when fixing the source isn’t enough to change our moods! In this case though, try to think of things that put you in a good mood. It could be anything that you choose. Calling a close friend, going to lunch, grabbing a coffee or tea, hitting the movies, playing a sport, etc. If you fix the source of the problem and you still feel down, do something fun.
This quick fast and furious system can help to change your “DOWN” days into some of the best “UP” days you’ve ever had. Make sure to practice this when you are travelling or stuck in the midst of family or work functions as well…life is just too darn short to be stuck in a bad mood!
©Deborah Peniuk aka@TraveliciousDee